Tuesday, November 25, 2014

29 Weeks

Dash and I have officially made it to 29 weeks. This is sort of the magic window where our baby could arrive and her chances of having no long term problems from a premature delivery are in our favor.
I feel like saying, "Phew!" but I can't quite do that yet.
Yesterday afternoon, starting around 3:30, it felt like all heck broke loose in my body. I started having some pretty crazy contractions that were coming every 5-10 minutes, even when I sat down, and they were the kind that stop you in your tracks because you can't move. Sitting for long wasn't much of an option to try and get them to calm down, since I still had 3 daycare children in my home and those infants don't exactly feed themselves (yet!)
By the time work finished, my oldest daughter had a piano lesson scheduled, and I knew I could send my husband for fast food for him and both of our daughters, but that seemed horribly unfair to me because it meant I'd be the one left opening a box of organic black bean soup while they got burgers and fries.
I love fries. No ketchup--just plenty of salt and that crispy, soft combination that makes my mouth water.
I can't have fries right now, so the thought of letting them eat what I couldn't have while I was already feeling miserable just didn't appeal to me in the slightest.
So I grabbed my water bottle and got to work on the dinner I'd been looking forward to, knowing that I might just have to bail on it part way through anyway.
With the exception of the crust, I made a completely-from-scratch chicken pot pie for dinner last night. It was heavenly!! And I managed to get it all done without feeling like I'd seriously overdone myself, although it was close.
My husband was beyond shocked later that evening to find out that I hadn't used any canned soups to make the sauce, which also meant that the meal was much healthier than he'd thought and he could feel less guilty about stuffing himself so badly. Chicken, chicken stock, lots and lots of veggies, no potatoes since I'm not allowed, some seasonings, and flour as the thickening agent . . . simple and divine.
The girls and I did pigged out, too. I made a huge pie and the entire thing was gone before we got up from the table.
I hadn't expected that, but it also means I know exactly what to do with some of the leftover turkey meat after Thanksgiving in a couple of days. I have another set of pie crusts and will be using them to make a turkey pot pie to stick in the freezer for a meal sometime in the coming weeks.
The best part about the chicken or turkey pot pies is that as long as I skip the crust, which is easy enough for me to do, they're pretty close to dairy free and contain no whole grains, the two items my other daughters had problems with when nursing. So if the pot pie stays in the freezer for a couple of months, I still have an easy meal that I won't need to worry about breastmilk sensitivities with.

When it comes to sensitivities, my lovenox injections sure are giving me a run for my money these days. I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm getting hard lumps under almost all of them now and many are bruising pretty badly again. I suspect the lumps may be related to the colder temperature in the house, and thus the cooler temp of my fingers and skin, but I can't be sure.
You can't see the lumps in the photos, but you can see the bruising. These were taken tonight. They aren't the clearest photos in the world because my nice point-n-shoot camera had an unfortunate accident while we were in Tennessee and my 4 year old dropped it at the Hard Rock Cafe. . .


For clarification, none of the spots are moles. Instead, they're the pinpricks sometimes leftover from the injection. The rules for my shots include the following:

  1. No injecting into a bruise
  2. No injecting into a lump
  3. Must be in the belly or love handles
  4. Cannot be within 2 inches of the belly button
  5. Must be able to "pinch and inch" for the injection site but no more, no less
  6. Use all 4 quadrants of the belly area

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that with all the extra bruising and lumping, I'm rapidly running out of locations to inject!
In the top picture, you may be able to see a darker bruise close to the waist on my pants. I used that spot in sheer desperation, knowing that the lower areas bruise, lump and hurt much worse than the ones above my belly button. The injection doesn't hurt going in, but the bruise is tender for several days. That particular shot was done Saturday night, so it's already 3 days old and looks as fresh as if it had been done this morning.
I will add that Dr. H had me get a cream that helps with bruising called Arnicare, and it really does speed up the healing when I remember to use it! The Arnicare also smells really nice. It's classified as unscented so the smell is likely from the Arnica montana, which is the active ingredient. The cream is also paraben free, which makes me happy!
My husband and I are also making some progress on a name for Dash. We certainly haven't settled on one, but we have some parameters that we agree on and it's helping.
If I have another few nights like last night, we'll need that name ready much sooner than Christmas, which is only 31 days away!
In the meantime, I need to remember to drink, drink, drink my water and not let time go by while I'm busy at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment