Today I had appointments with my OB and the substitute doctor for me MFM.
My OB appointment went much better than expected. She ran the beta strep test as well as a secondary swab for a bacterial infection at my request.
I then had my first cervical exam and was only partially surprised. The part I rather expected was that Dash is in -2 station. Her head is fully engaged and there's no concern for umbilical cord prolapse when my water breaks. Yay!
The part that surprised me a little was that I'm 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. I expected maybe a fingertip dilated, but 2cm is even better!
Dr. Mills says I may not even pitocin to start labor but breaking my water may be all we need. She also approved the use of a saline lock, rather than an IV. The saline lock will allow me to walk around freely without plastic tubes dangling eveywhere but will also allow them to draw blood or dispense any IV meds if needed.
My personal preference would be to start a low dose of pitocin for an hour or so, then turn it off and see if my labor keeps going on its own without breaking my water. However, we'll see how it all goes soon enough.
My MFM appointment was also mixed. I knew I was seeing the substitute doctor but hadn't expected an intern ultrasound technician to do the growth scan. She got all the necessary measurements, it just took a little time.
Dash is measuring in the 49th percentile and weighing in around 5lbs 13oz and "breathing" as if she has already been born.
My anti-Xa results were also in and not as good as in the past. My result was 0.61, which is in therapeutic range, but just barely. The substitute asked how many hours after injection the test had been run (3, as usual) and decided that I needed a dose increase since the range values are based on 4-6 hours post injection and by then, my value would have continued to drop and I'd be out of range.
Effective immediately, my dose is 70mg twice daily.
Lovenox doesn't come in a 70mg dose, so I'll be "dumping" 10mg out of my new 80mg syringes before each injection.
I feel a lot better with bumping up the dose. Dash, although very active and growing, has continued to drop percentiles and that makes me nervous.
We are close. . . but we aren't out of the woods yet.
My journey through infertility, pregnancy loss, and my faith as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Friday, January 9, 2015
Unexpected Changes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment