Thursday, January 8, 2015

35 Weeks and Shoveling Snow

We've had a cold few days here in Northern Virginia!

This morning the "Real Feel" temperature was about 6 below zero. And that's Fahrenheit, not Celsius.

On Tuesday, just over 4" of snow fell and I decided that shoveling a little snow and clearing off the van would be good for me. The snow was a super light, fine powder and that made it very easy to shovel. In the back of my mind I was hoping the exercise would help with bringing on contractions, but it didn't do a thing while I was shoveling!

I stopped every few minutes to do a quick check for my pulse and baby movement and everything stayed in balance nicely.

While I shoveled, the 4 older children also played in the snow and the two infants slept all snuggled up in the stroller.  It made for a very fun morning!

By evening, contractions kicked in!! So although the shoveling had a delayed response, it did what I'd hoped it would do.  It feels like Dash is sitting even lower now--if that's even possible--and some of my contractions can also be felt in my cervix, which in the long run are the most important kind because those are the kind that will bring Dash into the world in a couple of weeks.

Our street was a giant sheet of ice yesterday, so my husband chose to stay home, especially since my contractions had been so intense the night before. This allowed me to easily get my final anti-Xa test done (he drove and stayed in the car with the kids while I ran in quickly for the blood draw) and to get a few bins of baby clothes sorted during naptime. We also decided to put the crib together and I'm very glad we chose to do that! It turns out we're missing 12 short bolts so we'll need to make a trip to Home Depot to get them before we finish the assembly.

We'd also forgotten just how big a traditional crib was. I think we had both become accustomed to the dimensions of the port-a-cribs I use for the daycare children.  We'll need to do a little furniture do-si-do once I finish sorting the bins and putting clothes and diapers away.

Almost all of the clothes for the first few months are borrowed and I'm so grateful for those who've so generously allowed us to borrow them.  Our budget has become tighter than it's been in a long time due to my reduced workload and clothing can be really expensive, which hardly seems worth it when babies stay that small for so long! There are only two things that I know we'll need to buy still: a small garbage can with a lid to use as a diaper pail and a changing pad.

I've also been sewing some postpartum supplies and I'm almost done with those as well. The finished products may not be perfectly sewn, but they are very functional and I'm looking forward to avoiding the chemical ridden supplies the vast majority of women in the U.S. use!

I still need to sew some breastpads, but those will be very quick and I don't need too many of them if my past experiences are anything I can trust this time around, too.

Two weeks. . . just 14 days from today . . . and I'll be at the Birthing Inn, preparing to hold my little Rainbow Dash!

35 Weeks



(You know, that silly plunger has been in the background of all these photos and the silliest part? We don't even need it! We replaced that toilet a couple of years ago and haven't even come close to needing a plunger since! Maybe by next week I'll have removed it from the bathroom??)

No comments:

Post a Comment