Saturday, March 21, 2015

Human Milk: What to do When You Have Extra

Dash is the 3rd baby I have been lucky enough to nurse.
4th, if you count the two times I nursed my nephew.
With my older daughters, my milk supply always seemed to be barely enough. While working, I had to get up in the middle of the night to pump, even though she was sleeping through the night by 8 weeks. If I didn't, she would not have had enough milk for daycare the next day.
I was always stressed about it and I know that didn't help.
With Dash, my milk supply is so much better! I believe some of that is due to having her ties fixed early on but the rest is that I've been more proactive about drinking teas that claim to increase milk production.
Something is working and I am grateful for that!
So what does a woman with extra milk do?
It depends on the woman. Some stock pile it in the freezer for use after returning to work while other want it "just in case".
A few go to human milk banks and complete all their required bloodwork to donate their milk. Many diseases (including hepatits B & C) can pass though breastmilk so the milk banks screen carefully the mothers then pasteurize the milk they receive.
Others seeking to share their milk have created networks on social media to offer or request human milk.
It is well known that breastmilk is best for babies. I could include an almost limitless number of studies that prove this but will simply state my three favorite reasons: gut microbiome,  immune system, and cost.
Human milk is free.
The World Health Organization also lists baby feeding preferences as mother's milk first, then donor milk, and formula as the last option.
It should not be the first thing when breastfeeding fails, but it is what doctors in the US push if there is the slightest problem.
I know this first hand because each of my girls' pediatricians has told us the supplement with formula when they started developing jaundice.
Because milk banks only offer milk to very sick babies and NICU babies, I chose to join a social media group and watch for someone local who could use my milk.
Within a couple days, a mother in my town requested milk for her baby. I responded with my general location, a list of the supplements I take, and my personal dietary guidelines. Two days later her husband came and picked up 33 ounces of my frozen milk.
Wednesday the mother again contacted me, telling me her baby had tolerated the milk well and that they'd love more if I had some.
So last night, for the second Friday in a row, I watched as 30 ounces of my miracle liquid was given to a baby, allowing him to avoid (or at least minimize) the use of formula.
I am grateful that I have the ability to help this mother and baby. If I had supply issues, I would hope that another mother would help me out, too.
If you are ever in a breastmilk conundrum, research Human Milk for Human Babies on Facebook and find a group near you.

No comments:

Post a Comment