It has been quite some time since I posted anything of real
relevance regarding my life.
Or perhaps it just feels like an eternity?
I’ve had a few different posts running through my brain but
I have been unable to focus on any of them. This has led to a complete absence
of posts in general. Oops!
Tonight there is something weighing on my mind that truly
has no solution but I want to talk about it a little anyway because I know that
someday my children will read everything I’ve written here.
I am not perfect but I want them to know that I’m trying to
be the best mother I can.
My oldest is finishing third grade next month. This was her
teacher’s rookie year but the snags from that end have been minimal.
Unfortunately, there have been snags.
This is also the year that K was evaluated for the gifted
program. Part of the evaluation included a parent survey, where I needed to
evaluate K in specific areas, including social behaviors, hobbies, reading,
math, etc. I struggled with the
evaluation because I don’t know how she compares to her peers or what is normal
for her age group. I only know what she does and whether she is working her
hardest or not.
For some time I have thought that K is a smart student who
can remember facts and assimilate ideas in meaningful ways. Her ability to
extrapolate math concepts is remarkable as well. What I did not know is whether
that qualified as being gifted or not.
From a personal perspective, I don’t consider myself to be “gifted”.
I consistently scored above 95th percentile on standardized tests
and my teachers called me a model student, but gifted? No. Upon entering junior
high I was tested and I honestly don’t remember the results. I believe I fell
into the “maybe” category and my mother could have pushed it but she chose not
to. I seem to recall a conversation about ten years ago where she told me that
she didn’t want me being ostracized further. I was already one of only two 7th
graders in advanced band and 12 students who had tested into the honors Algebra
class. I wasn’t popular at church, either, for a wide variety of reasons I’d
rather not go into right now. I didn’t fit in well anywhere and Mom didn’t want
to make that worse.
For me to try and label my bright child as “gifted” just
seems wrong. She’s not average, but I don’t think she’s any more intelligent
than I was at that age.
Here is where the conflict comes: she isn’t your standard
third grader but she’s not gifted, either.
Where does that leave me? With a child who is bored in
school and starting to act out. Whether the acting out is related to being
bored, to her new role as Dash’s sister, etc, I don’t know. I wish I did.
There was an incident on the playground last week that
absolutely mortified me. I think she
was trying to tease some of her friends, but it got out of hand. She was giving
two students bunny ears and one of them, her closest male friend, took offense.
I don’t know how quickly it escalated, but he pushed her down. She got up and
for reasons I don’t even begin to understand, gave him bunny ears again. He
repeated the pushing. I don’t know how many times she hit the ground, but the
boy was given a referral to the principal and K got off scot-free, even though
she was clearly antagonizing her
friend.
To me, that behavior (doing something to someone they don’t
like) is bullying. And I don’t like it.
When I asked her about her day when she came home, she didn’t
mention a thing; she acted like everything was perfect. She was so hesitant to
say what had happened and I know in
my mommy heart it’s because she knew she had done something wrong. It took some
serious patience on my part, knowing that how I handled the situation would set
a tone for any future discussions related to K doing things she shouldn’t
and/or me disapproving of her actions.
If the playground incident was a stand-alone incident, I
wouldn’t be quite so worried, but it’s just another step in a pattern I’ve been
noticing at home. K has become pretty aggressive with her 4 year old sister.
She has smacked her face, pinched her cheeks, yells at her, trips her on
purpose, etc. I feel like she’s trying to prove she’s bigger and better than
others, and I don’t understand why.
I guess the moral of the story is that I’m feeling like a
rather big fat failure as a mom.
I wonder if my mother ever felt the same way? Like me, she couldn’t call her mother and ask
for advice, since her mother had passed away when my older brother was only 4.
Her maternal support was her mother-in-law, who had raised 5 boys—a very
different dynamic than the four children Mom had.
Motherless mothering
is hard. I knew it would be, but experiencing the reality as my children grow
really drives that home. Sometimes, a mommy just wants her mother, too.
I have the option of appealing the decision regarding the
gifted program but time is quite short and I’m not entirely sure I want to open
that bag of worms. The process wouldn’t be very easy on K and a second
rejection may be more than she can take right now . . .
But here is something cute to cheer everyone up.
No comments:
Post a Comment