Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Milestones (Or Things that Happen in the Blink of an Eye)

Today is the last day of school for my 3rd grader. The year has been quite an adventure! On the first day of school, I was pregnant. For lack of a better description, that's pretty normal for me. Of the 4 "first day of school" days that my oldest has experienced, I have been pregnant for 3 of them.
This is the first time, however, that I got to take my baby with me to the bus stop on the last day of school!
One week until K turns 9 and 13 days until C turns 5.

It has been a month of milestones for our little family. My oldest informed me last month that she couldn't see the board from her desk, so a quick trip to the eye doctor and a few weeks later Viola! Glasses. Complete with BYU blue frames and a salmon colored case that she will eventually learn not to pinch her fingers with when she closes it.

Today was also the last school day where my middle daughter is not a student.  At the end of August, she'll start kindergarten. She's never attended preschool or any other formal educational program, but she is making quite a bit of progress in her reading. She can now sound out many words and is beginning to spell phonetically on her artwork.

We celebrated both of their birthdays with local family a few days ago. My middle one had her very first birthday in this home, just 11 days after we moved in.

K's 5th birthday and one week before C turned 1
Time sometimes feels like it's flying by. The same holds true with Dash. On Friday, my husband and I took a walk along the W&OD Trail near our home. It was a hot, muggy day but the morning wasn't too gross so we managed 5 miles with the double stroller, carrying both of our younger daughters while the oldest was in school.

After we finished, we left straight for Costco, forgetting that I didn't have my Ergo carrier with me or the single stroller. Either Dash was going to have to be held or we could try buckling her into the cart.


The cart won. She was such a happy camper up there, too!

The milestones didn't stop there. On Sunday she was doing her usual "wake-up the second you put me down" routine and I was trying rather unsuccessfully to let her cry. When the cry changed urgency, I went in and found her on her stomach with her face smashed against the side of the crib.

*This is why you don't use crib bumpers. My daughter could have suffocated in that position if there had been a padded bumper in her crib!*

She's 4 months old, which is right on the normal "roll-over" curve but I figured it was probably a fluke.

This morning I put her on her back in the middle of the crib as usual. When she later woke up, this is what I found: 

Her face wasn't crammed into the front of the crib, but she still did some sort of magical rolling over and scooting to get there.  She was pretty pleased with herself, too!

That's the tail end of a smile.
Now What?
You may have noticed a little thing in her crib that I've written about before.

BINKY!

That was my last ditch effort to help fix her latch. This pacifier is made by Munchkin and is called LATCH and although she only sucks on it for a few seconds at a time, she is trying to figure out how to keep it in her mouth and that effort is paying off for both of us. In order to keep it in, she has to make sure that she doesn't lose suction and she's taking that skill and applying it to nursing. My milk blister, which has been there since February, is slowly healing. More importantly to me, it is no longer painful. She's nursing quite comfortably all the time now, even when she is losing suction.

The exception is when she decides to yank on me. That doesn't feel comfortable at all!! Dash also likes to push away from me with her arm, even as she's eating ravenously. I'm not entirely sure why, so I find myself holding her hand out of the way to keep her still.

If you compare the Costco picture with the crib pictures, you might detect a bit of a difference, or maybe you won't. Dash also got quite a haircut on Sunday. Her hair is finally thinning where she's rubbing it on her sheets and as it has grown, it's lopsided. I took some time while nursing her and gave her a trim along everything, but especially the ears.

Hair on the ears drives me bonkers!

In a couple short hours, I will have a 4th grader, a kindergartener, and a semi-mobile baby. Please Time, slow down a little!

No comments:

Post a Comment