Sunday, March 9, 2014

An Object in Motion Stays in Motion


There are some days when it seems I can’t drag my butt out of my rocking chair unless I absolutely have to.

Today was not one of those days. 

Daylight Savings Time began in the wee hours of the morning today.  It was a little strange looking at my watch and realizing it was already 6:45, when all I wanted to do was roll over and keep sleeping.  I’m a bit of a sucker for torture, so I sat in bed for about twenty minutes then got up and woke up our still-sleeping daughters.

They weren’t very happy about it, either.  I’ve been on this mommy-rodeo for long enough to know that if I’d let them sleep any longer, bedtime tonight and the school morning tomorrow would have been much harder.  I’d rather deal with crabbiness on a Sunday than on a school day.

Once I got up and got going, I didn’t stop.  I’m not sure where the energy and motivation came from, but I’ll take it!  Besides cleaning much of the kitchen, I roasted a whole chicken, made stuffing, slow-roasted some sweet potatoes, then whipped together some gravy and mashed potatoes.  The meal was probably too many carbs and not enough veggies, but nobody seemed to mind.

The chicken carcass was cleaned before I left the table and went straight into a pot with a bunch of frozen veggie scraps I’d been saving in the freezer.  Six quarts of water and 6 hours later, I sit here as my pressure canner vents for a delicious batch of chicken stock.

Oh, and somewhere in all that I managed to dye some absorbent material for my cloth diapers so I wouldn’t confuse it with the wicking material and sew a cloth diaper, start to finish, after the absorbent bamboo was dry.

The diaper turned out well, but it’s clear I need to adjust how the elastic is encased because it lost a lot of its stretch.  Oh well.  This is why I used the “camouflage freebie” PUL that came with my order instead of the nicer stuff I actually ordered: to test the pattern.

I guess that diaper is the first sewing project I’ve finished for our son . . . even if it’s not something wearable without some changes.  If I get in the mood, I’ll rip out some seams and see if I can fix it, but I’m rather lazy about stuff like that and more inclined just to donate/toss the diaper.

After having such horrid pelvic pressure and some persistent cramping the last two days, it was really nice to be on my feet and pretty comfortable throughout.  I could use 3-4 days like this a week where I can really get things done, but I just don’t see that happening, especially with work.


Tasks for this week: plan menus for a camping trip involving approximately 32 people and find a storage unit for our stuff.  It’s time to clear out the basement! 

No comments:

Post a Comment