Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bubble Guts

In the spring of 2007, I was teaching a rather difficult group of students.  The course name was "Integrated Math III" but reality it was Geometry for students who needed to pass the end of year Standards-of-Learning test or they couldn't graduate. Many were smart, capable students who simply lacked the drive to succeed, and a few others really did struggle academically.

My job was to teach them enough to pass the class and nothing else.  Those of you who know me well know that I am not a "minimum standards" kind of teacher.  I really love teaching and it doesn't really matter what the subject matter is, as long as I feel like I know it well.

There was one lesson where we were talking about the differences between rhombii and kites. After hearing the unmistakable vibration of a phone, a particularly difficult student raised his hand and asked to go to the bathroom.

Uh, No.  That's what break time is for and that particular material was, in fact, highly applicable to the material on the test he'd be taking in 6 weeks.

"But Mrs. Terry, I have bubble guts.  I gotta GO!"

Bubble Guts!!

This was the first time I'd ever heard that expression used and I accidentally snorted out loud at the hilarity of it.  Whoops!  Stern Mrs. Terry has the sense of humor of a four year old and thinks bodily functions are funny.  The truth was out!

In the end I did let the student go, but I had him put his cell phone on my desk before leaving.  There's only so much I can do and at that point his comment had lightened me up anyway.

I have bubble guts.  Not at all the kind the student claimed to have, but the much happier version for someone who has been fighting infertility off and on for years.

I mentioned before that I haven't been able to feel our baby boy as much as I was in the very beginning and that although I know why, that it is unnerving.  I've found myself using my doppler about every other day, even on days where I thought I had felt him.

The sensations are getting stronger and more distinct again.  It isn't the kicks and wiggles I'm used to when the placenta has been posterior, but I know it's the baby.

The best description has to be that it feels like bubble guts, but totally in the wrong location!  And without all the cramping and nastiness that student was likely pretending to feel.

It would appear that my nurse practitioner from my OB's office was right: It would only be a short time until my son would be longer than his placenta and I'd feel him more.

I have one more milestone to hit.  I want my husband to feel his son.  He's never gone this long without feeling his baby before and I really want him to feel connected.

And maybe, just maybe, it will encourage him to start considering names more seriously?? I really want to know what we'll be naming this little guy.  We've prayed so long and so hard for him and now I just want to know what he'll be called so I can call him by name.

My little Bubbles, for now.

1 comment: