Wednesday, October 22, 2014

24 Weeks

Here is my picture from yesterday . . .

Although the growth from week to week doesn't seem very big, if you go back a month or more you can see quite a bit of change.

I am adjusting to the fact that my pregnancy is winding down. My obstetrician informed me on Thursday that "We really only need 4 more weeks." Although having a baby at 28 weeks would mean an extended NICU stay, her chances of growing up healthy are really good thanks to all the improvements in neonatal care.

As much as I can hope to avoid a long hospital stay, it may be unavoidable.

Last night as I spoke to my husband, I confessed that although we always thought of raising 4 children, I'm not entirely sure I can take on the emotional toll of a 9th pregnancy. Monday night I had another anxiety attack. I laid there in bed, willing the baby to move in the hopes that it would calm me down, but it just wasn't happening. I ended up flying out of bed in a rush to just get out of my bedroom so I could focus on my breathing. Generally, once Dash is moving around well I calm right down but in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, that simply wasn't the case. It took over two hours for me to get to the point where I knew I could climb in bed and not disturb my husband with tossing and turning.

I must say I'm looking forward to the normal newborn worries. They feel like a cake-walk compared to what I've been dealing with the last 6 months.

Dash is most certainly growing bigger and stronger. Her kicks are higher and harder and I relish every single one of them. I don't know if she'll get big enough to kick my ribs, but I sure hope so. It hurts like mad but that will mean she's still in me and we're close to full term.

I've continued to do some of the Spinning Babies stretches and am moving through my Hypnobabies materials as well, so preparations for birth are continuing. On Saturday we toured the Birthing Inn, too.

For several months I've had the benefit of knowing I needed to do the tour, so I'd mentally prepared myself for it. Unfortunately, my husband wasn't anywhere near as prepared as I was and his emotions were palpable.

He and I both know we have the option of delivering at any number of hospitals in our extended area, including the one where our second daughter was born. My last experience at the Birthing Inn was obviously a pretty awful one, but my experience with my nurse there was amazing and I want her to help with my rainbow delivery. I know that when it comes right down to it, I'll have more interaction on delivery day with my nurse than with my OB, and Alicia was perfect. I want her there again and she knows that and has let me know that I can contact her when the time comes and she'll do everything she can to be with me.

My husband is coming with me tomorrow for our next growth scan with Dr. H. He hasn't come with me since my anatomy scan, so I'm excited to have him there again. Three weeks ago our little Dash looked so BIG compared to Jackson. It was shocking, actually, so I'm looking forward to the look on his face when he sees just how big our little girl is getting. (I'm assuming/hoping for awesome growth when I make that statement.)

In addition, we'll be asking about our road trip protocol. Yes, we're going on a road trip to the BYU @ MTSU football game while I'm 25 weeks pregnant. That's 631 miles from home. With stops, it will likely take 11 hours.

We need to know the following:

  • Will I need compression stockings? 
  • How often do we need to stop so I can walk? 
  • How long should those walks be? 
  • What should my water consumption be? 
  • How do we manage our fast food stops? Are some options better than others?
  • While at the game, is there anything I need to be cautious about?
  • What do we do if something comes up and I need medical help (besides call 911)?

So my dear spouse can get all those answers too, and he'll understand just what is expected and why.

Here's to one more week down, and at least 4 more to go!!

No comments:

Post a Comment