Everybody needs a day off sometimes, and doctors are no exception. Whether my doctor is having health problems of her own or is a busy mama with college aged children or something else--she finds doctors who can fill in for her and for that I'm grateful.
Today I met one of her subs. He was a middle aged man who clearly loves his job. As he picked through my printed medical records, he noticed that Dr. H had run the SSA/SSB antibody test but couldn't see the results, so he made sure to hunt those down.
My tests for both were negative. Although it wouldn't have changed any of the medications I'm currently taking, he said he'd have me come in sooner to have the baby's heart checked if either or both had been positive.
This doctor and I also talked a little about my loss and that I don't fit into the normal medical category. His comment was something to the effect of "I love mysteries because I always learn something new and that makes me a better doctor."
I liked that attitude. That my specific "case" is unusual didn't bother him, but rather was fascinating.
We also talked a little about college football (he went to West Point and rather snickered at how awful their football team is) and large families. Near the end of the appointment, he noticed that I had seen Dr. Jane Allen and mentioned that he went to school with her. He then proceeded to let me know that I need to ask her about the placenta study they did that their mentor wouldn't let them publish because the mentor felt the results were not strong enough.
So then we talked about how hard it is to find doctors and pathologists who really understand the placenta and can do proper studies on them.
Yes, I liked the sub today.
Curious about Dash yet??
Dash is still growing okay. She's measuring a day behind where I am gestationally (again) but 3 days behind where she ought to have been based on the last growth scan if growth was continuous.
It's not the most yippee!!! news, but it wasn't bad, either. She's measuring in the 40th percentile, so smaller than my other girls, but still not worrisome. Her weight is approximately 14oz.
The newest development? She's frank breech. With my other pregnancies, once my babies were head down, they really liked to stay that way.
Not Dash. Oh no. She likes to do everything her own way.
And I thought my second daughter marched to her own drum. She may be a cake walk in comparison!
She needs a boring, unassuming name; something to give her a chance at serene and dignified behavior.
Oh, who am I kidding. She'll be Dash no matter what her birth certificate says.
And yes, I'm starting to believe she'll be born alive. I'm still not making any preparations (what's the point??) but my mental planning is starting to take place more often than in the past.
This is the first image of her I've been able to take home that I felt was worth posting in several weeks. She kept her hands and feet right up in front of her face pretty much the entire time, making measuring a little tough--another reason I'm not too concerned about the mildly smaller measurements. If you're familiar with these kinds of images, what do you think you see?

No comments:
Post a Comment